Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Works for me Wednesday...Collecting favorite kids shows

I've told you before that I am OLD. When my oldest sons were little, VHS was still fairly new. We collected all our favorite Disney movies on VHS & we enjoyed many hours of family time watching them together. Some of them I had seen in the theatre when I was a kid, others I had never seen before. I LOVED owning those movies to watch them whenever I wanted. When our third son was a baby we discovered Blues Clues and Teletubbies. We had cable & he LOVED to watch both shows. Every year we would buy him a few favorite episodes on video. Over the years we have collected most of the old Blues Clues videos (with Steve). When we added a daughter to our family we started adding GIRL movies. I like to stick to tried & true classics. Our collection now includes quite a few DVDs as well. We have episodes of Eureka's Castle, Bear in the Big Blue House & other shows that we enjoyed, but are no longer available for our youngest kids on TV. Over the last couple years we have been focusing more on episodes of our favorite kid shows. We have hours & hours of Teletubbies, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Miss Spider, Dora, Backyardigans and many others. I especially like the Nick Jr DVDs that have episodes of 5 or 6 different shows.....I'm not sure they are still making those, but we LOVE the ones we have.
We got rid of cable last Fall, one of the main reasons our kids haven't missed it is because they still have many choices for things to watch whenever they are allowed TV time.

Owning our favorite shows & movies on video or DVD definitely Works for Me! Visit We Are That Family to see more Works for Me Wednesday.

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Hmmm...we were getting ready to get rid of all the old fav videos. You are making me rethink...

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

We got rid of cable years ago as well and it is nice to have an assortment of videos for them to choose from when TV time is allowed.
Good for you!
Blessings,
Kim