Monday, September 28, 2009

Maggie probably has the swine flu

My daughter Maggie is 9. Several of her classmates & a few of the kids on her bus have recently been ill. A few of them have told Maggie it was the swine flu. Thursday of last week Maggie had a headache when she came home from school. Friday, she didn't feel great, but she didn't have a fever & she REALLY didn't want to miss school. When she came home she did have a fever & a headache & went right to bed. Over the weekend, she has been coughing & complaining of headaches off & on. Tylenol has kept her fever down and she hasn't been overly uncomfortable. Last night I decided that I would keep her home today & have her checked out to be sure she didn't have something contagious.

I really wasn't sure what resources were available for swine flu detection in our area, so I called the Health Department first thing this morning. I was very surprised when they told me that they are not testing for swine flu and that I didn't need to take her to the Dr at all unless she developed complications. I am to just keep her home, give her Tylenol for the fever & monitor her illness. She's not extremely sick, so I guess we will be waiting this out & watching to see who gets it next.

3 comments:

More Than Words said...

My kids were exposed to swine flu when they went to camp, and my daughter got sick. She totally had flu type symptoms!

I hope your daughter gets better soon!!

Katie said...

I hope it's a short lived illness & it doesn't make its way through your family!

Tracey said...

Hope she feels better soon!!!