Sunday, September 13, 2009

Car Troubles

It has been a week of car trouble. Tuesday I planned to do some errands, but when I tried to start the van, its battery was dead. The van is known for being temperamental, so I really didn't think too much of it & figured we would just need to jump it. There was a lot of corrosion on one of the battery terminals, so I cleaned that off with some baking soda, that didn't help. The jumper cables were no where to be found so I had to wait until Friday to buy a new set.

Wednesday night Mason called....his Subaru won't go in reverse & he is pretty sure the transmission is gone. He is 100 miles away at college. He had to change his schedule at the last minute because he now can't get to the Craft Center where he was supposed to be taking one of his classes. He's not happy at all about being STUCK at college with no way to get anywhere else.

Friday morning I went out to start Hubby's car & it's battery was dead too. ARGHHH!!!! This was the final straw for me. I ended up calling our son Marvin & getting him to come over with his jumper cables after he got off work. The battery on his car is not very suitable for jumping another car with....the battery itself is inside a casing & can't be accessed. We tried to jump the van, but it didn't seem to be getting any juice. Next we tried jumping Hubby's car....it wasn't easy, but we did eventually get it started. Yay!!! At least Hubby has a way to get to work!!!

I went to the autoparts store & bought a new set of jumper cables. I tried to jump the van with Hubby's car, but no luck. Now I'm thinking that either the battery is totally DEAD or we have a bad fuse or relay. Unfortunately we don't know anyone who is mechanical & don't have the money to have it towed someplace & worked on. Hubby works Saturday through Wednesday, so on those days I will either have to take him back & forth to work to use his car or I will be stuck at home with no way to get anywhere.....and his car only really seats 4, so we will have to take multiple trips if we all need to go someplace.

2 comments:

Carly said...

I HATE car problems. It always at the worst time. Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hate car issues. If we lived closer Tim would totally come help. He's had to work on my van so many times over the years, that he'd probably b able to find your problem right away (we have the same vans, I think).

Hugs, my friend. I hope it gets sorted out soon.