Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's a Baby Shower!!!

UpstateMomof3 is adopting a baby!!! The new baby is a girl & will be joining their family soon!!! Since this is an online baby shower everyone is supposed to give suggestions on books, songs etc. Big Brother is starting kindergarten. Big Sister is still a baby herself...this is going to be both an exciting time & a difficult time for their family.

My closest spaced kids are 21 months apart. I think the best thing I did when our youngest was a baby was to get my toddler used to laying down with the baby & I for a nap in the afternoons before the bigger kids got home from school. For the first few months we tandem nursed & they would fall asleep on either side of me on my big king size bed. When this stopped working, Marissa would pick a book for me to read while Melanie nursed to sleep and if Marissa was still awake when that book was over, we would read another. We set up a special basket with a dozen of her favorite books & nap time was the only time we read those particular stories.

There are a lot of books out there about welcoming a new sibling to the family, most of them talk about jealousy & I have always found it better to not suggest emotions that my children don't actually feel. Instead, I read books about families....families of animals, families of people interacting and any other sweet but not overly exciting books we have in our bookshelf.

I haven't had a chance to get a gift for the baby yet, hopefully I'll get my act together before she is home!!

Congratulations Our Life Upstate Family!!!!

1 comment:

Upstatemamma said...

Oh I love that idea. We avoided most of the "new sibling" books too with Big Brother. Why tell him a new baby is a bad thing when he thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread? I love the napping together though. Might have to steal that idea. :)