Saturday, January 9, 2010

SNOW Day!!!

Thursday morning, I had my teeth cleaned at the dentist. While I was there the radio was playing. In the 30 minutes, I heard at least 6 announcements about school closings for "winter weather". I don't always listen to the radio in the van, but on my way home I turned it on and was surprised to hear that my kids schools would be closing an hour early. At that moment there wasn't ANY snow on the ground, the flurries hadn't even started.

By 3:30, when Maggie's bus would normally come barreling down our street, this is what the road looked like.  It's not much snow, but there is a sheet of ice under it.

This is a picture of the light dusting on our yard.  For some reason with this storm, the snow was sticking to the road better than it was sticking in the yard.  It hasn't been above 30 in over a week, so I'm sure the ground under the grass is frozen SOLID


Our cars were also lightly covered, but the driveway was completely WHITE. I've had a container of rock salt sitting in the garage for a couple years and decided this year I would put it on the sidewalk from the house to the driveway to keep ice from forming...I'm really happy with how well it worked, now I wish I had thought to put some on the driveway too.

In the morning Hubby's car was completely covered in SNOW!!! Thankfully, it was his day off, so we didn't have to worry about driving and the school district had wisely called for a snow day.

This is what our street still looked like at noon on Friday.
The kids were excited to get all bundled up to play in the snow. Here they are holding some big chunks of ice they found.

Toffee had to go out to play in the snow too. He enjoyed eating it, but had to be held in place so I could get a picture of him.

Melanie had a blast playing in the snow...she wouldn't put down the chunk of ice the entire time she was outside.

Marissa looked so cute all bundled up I just had to get a full body shot....she played outside for about 40 minutes before deciding it was way too COLD. Personally I lasted less than 10 minutes.

No comments: